Rita Ora will NOT appear on The Masked Dancer02/09/2021
Rita Ora will NOT appear on The Masked Dancer and is the ONLY judge who won’t return for singing show’s spin off… after two Covid rule-breaking scandals
- The singer, 30, is thought to be the only judge currently on The Masked Singer who has not been asked back for ITV’s spin-off series The Masked Dancer
- Bosses are reportedly hoping Strictly’s Oti Mabuse, 30, will join the new show
- The dancing series is said to be a replacement for Britain’s Got Talent which couldn’t go ahead in 2021, meaning there’s a quick turnaround for filming
- Rita is now filming The Voice in Australia and will be there for ‘next few months’
- It comes after Rita was branded ‘selfish’ by police for holding a lockdown-flouting 30th birthday bash at west London restaurant Casa Cruz in November
Rita Ora is the only judge currently appearing on The Masked Singer who has not been asked back for ITV’s spin-off series The Masked Dancer.
The singer, 30, filmed the show last September, before she had to apologise for breaking Covid rules after throwing a birthday party in London and jetting to Egypt
A source has now claimed that TV bosses are considering Strictly’s Oti Mabuse, 30, as her replacement, while Jonathan Ross, Davina McCall, Mo Gilligan and host Joel Dommett will remain in their roles.
Claims: Rita Ora is reportedly the only judge currently appearing on The Masked Singer who has not been asked back for ITV’s spin-off series The Masked Dancer
The source told The Mirror: ‘Viewers have been watching Rita on Saturday nights for weeks, but the Masked Singer was recorded way before her birthday bash at the end of November.
‘Such a lot of effort goes into keeping the talent and crew safe while making it – many people felt let down by the way Rita behaved. She has not done herself any favours.’
While discussing current Glitterball champion Oti as a possible replacement for the reported show, they added: ‘Everyone’s very hopeful that she’ll sign.’
However a source close to Rita claimed the snub was a scheduling issue, telling MailOnline: ‘It’s common knowledge that she’s in Australia and will be filming The Voice for the next few months.’
The panel: Fellow judges Jonathan Ross, Davina McCall and Mo Gilligan are thought to be appearing on The Masked Dancer (pictured on The Masked Singer with host Joel Dommett)
MailOnline has contacted both Rita and Oti’s representatives as well as ITV for a comment.
The Masked Dancer is thought to be a replacement for Britain’s Got Talent, which had to be scrapped in 2021 due to the pandemic.
TV bosses are reportedly hoping to air the show in May, when there would usually be BGT finals, meaning there’s a quick turnaround on recording the show.
The Masked Dancer is already a hit in America and sees a slew of unnamed celebs take to the floor to showcase their impressive moves, leaving a panel of judges to guess their identity.
ITV confirmed BGT wouldn’t be going ahead last month, saying that despite the efforts of the teams at ITV, Thames and head judge Simon Cowell’s Syco, they were forced to call plans off.
Stepping in? Strictly’s Oti Mabuse is said to be in the running for a judging position on The Masked Dancer
They said: ‘With our absolute priority of safeguarding the well-being and health of every person involved in the programme from judges, hosts and contestants to all of the crew and audience, the decision has been made to – unfortunately – move the record and broadcast of the 15th series of Britain’s Got Talent to 2022.
‘BGT is known for its diversity of talent with big dance groups, wonderful choirs and lavish orchestras at its heart, and it has become clear that not only is it not possible to film auditions with these types of acts in a secure way but also that they are not able to adequately rehearse and prepare safely.’
Meanwhile, Rita is currently working in Australia to film The Voice after flying out last week and is expected to stay there for a few months.
The singer was recently branded ‘selfish’ by British police for holding a lockdown-flouting 30th birthday bash at west London restaurant Casa Cruz in November.
It’s a hit: The US version of the dancing competition was a big success, and an insider said ITV bosses are confident it will be the same across the pond (pictured the American show)
The party came amid another rule break, as she had previously flown by private jet to Cairo on November 21 to perform at the five-star W Hotel.
She returned the next day and under Government quarantine rules should have self-isolated for 14 days. Instead, she threw a birthday party on November 28 at the exclusive Casa Cruz restaurant in Notting Hill.
For this she apologised with the following statement: ‘Hello all, I attended a small gathering with some friends to celebrate my 30th birthday.
‘It was a spur of the moment decision made with the misguided view that we were coming out of lockdown and this would be OK… I’m deeply sorry for breaking the rules and in turn understand that this puts people at risk.
Current series: Rita appears in the latest season of The Masked Singer, which was recorded last September before her Covid rule-breaking scandals (pictured with Jonathan Ross)
Fill in: The new dancing spin off is thought to be a replacement for Britain’s Got Talent which hasn’t been able to go ahead in 2021 due to the pandemic (The Masked Singer panel pictured along with Alan Carr)
‘This was a serious and inexcusable error of judgement. Given the restrictions, I realise how irresponsible these actions were and I take full responsibility.
‘I feel particularly embarrassed knowing first-hand how hard people have worked to combat this terrible illness and being fully aware of the sacrifices that people and businesses have made to help keep us all safe. Even though this won’t make it right, I want to sincerely apologise.’
The infamous birthday party at Casa Cruz saw Rita branded ‘selfish’, being fined £10,000, the manager of the restaurant sacked and the venue facing losing its licence.
She was also forced into another grovelling apology for breaching strict coronavirus rules by flying to Cairo and not isolating on return.
Rule breaker: Rita was branded ‘selfish’ for holding a lockdown-flouting 30th birthday bash at London restaurant Casa Cruz in November (Rita pictured on her birthday)
Rita said: ‘I recently flew to Egypt to perform at a corporate event for a private company, where my travel party followed protocol and presented negative Covid tests upon entry, as required by Egyptian authorities.
‘Upon my return to Britain, I should have followed Government advice and isolated myself for the required period. As you know, I didn’t follow Government advice and… I apologise again, unreservedly.
‘While I realise the apologetic words of a pop star might not carry much weight, especially one who has broken the rules like I have, I do realise some might seek to follow my example.
‘My message to them is simple: please don’t. The guilt and shame I’ve carried this week for my mistake aren’t worth it. Instead, continue to listen to the Government advice and the voices of the heroes of the NHS and take the required precautions.’
I’m sorry: Rita offered an apology on social media and said she felt ‘particularly embarrassed’ after her party was revealed
She added: ‘I hope to one day make it up to the public who have given me so much support over the years and, in particular, make it up to the heroes of the NHS…
‘In the meantime, I will be donating my fee from Egypt to charity. Be better than I have been and learn from my mistakes so you don’t have to learn the hard way yourselves.’
Rita is now in Australia ahead of filming for her judging role on The Voice and is believed to be spending her two-week isolation period at the the five star Meriton Suites Pitt Street hotel.
The singer was permitted to leave the UK during lockdown because she flew to Sydney for work commitments, and will become a coach on the Australian version of the hit singing competition.
Rita has had to isolate in a hotel after landing, to adhere to the country’s strict travel regulations amid the global coronavirus pandemic.
Explaining that there was no way for the star to get out of quarantining on arrival, a source told The Sun: ‘It’s very clear how seriously the Australians are taking their border control, and there are no risks taken at all.
‘They have no time for rule-breakers. Border agents and the military are involved — and she had to comply.’
Prior to her trip, a source also told the publication: ‘It’s obviously a bit of a pain but she knows she will have to do it just like everyone else. She’s excited to start work on The Voice but nobody is going to let her do that until she has done the quarantine, so it’s one of those things.’
They added: ‘She’s had enough controversy after the birthday incident so just wants to keep her head down now and get back to work.’
Current project: The singer is now working in Australia where she’s filming The Voice
Source: Read Full Article