3.15pm Man Utd news LIVE: Jules Kounde targeted, Cavani OUT of Newcastle game, Real Madrid enter Haaland chase – The Sun

3.15pm Man Utd news LIVE: Jules Kounde targeted, Cavani OUT of Newcastle game, Real Madrid enter Haaland chase – The Sun

10/13/2020

EDINSON CAVANI will miss out on his Man Utd debut this weekend as he remains in coronavirus protocol.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid have stepped up their pursuit of Borussia Dortmund striker Erling Haaland and United are eyeing a swoop for defender Jules Kounde.

Follow all the latest from Old Trafford below…

  • Marc Mayo

    HAA HAA LAND

    Erling Haaland has teased Real Madrid fans with a picture of himself and Martin Odegaard.

    The Norwegian pair featured in Sunday’s 4-0 rout of Romania, with Haaland bagging a hat-trick.

    And, while Manchester United fans harbour dreams of signing the teenager, it was Los Blancos getting excited by this post.

    Reports in Spain suggest Haaland will be a big target for Madrid in 2022, with Kylian Mbappe on their radar next summer.

    View this post on Instagram

    My guy Ødda 🇳🇴

    A post shared byErling Braut Haaland (@erling.haaland) on

  • Marc Mayo

    ED OUR WAY

    Manchester United have reportedly lined-up teenage sensation Eduardo Camavinga to replace Paul Pogba – but will face a fight with Real Madrid.

    Reports say the Red Devils have 'put in place' a mechanism to sign the 17-year-old as interest in him rises.

    Spanish outlet AS report that United are putting the building blocks in place to sign the young midfielder from Rennes.

    His contract runs down in 2022 and he has already turned down a renewal from the surprise Ligue 1 league leaders.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's side are reportedly 'posing a threat' to Real Madrid, who have long had ambitions to capture Camavinga.

  • Marc Mayo

    JU KNOW IT

    Manchester United certainly need a centre-back and Jules Kounde is a no-brainer – if they can do a deal.

    The 21-year-old has been impressive since landing in Sevilla from Bordeaux last year.

    That earned admiring glances from Manchester City, to which he recently said: “It's part of my progression and I'm doing whatever it takes to make it happen.

    “I was obviously happy [with City's interest]. It would have been a good opportunity, but I'm in Seville and I'm very happy there.”

    Agent Jonathan Kebe added: “Any footballer likes to talk about his game. Of course, it is a compliment that a club as important as Manchester City is interested in you.

    “There was an offer, the club studied it, said ‘no’, and that’s it. There’s no more. We will never leave if Sevilla doesn’t want us to.”

  • Marc Mayo

    I WANT KOU

    Manchester United have entered the race for Sevilla star Jules Kounde.

    It was Manchester City who were strongly linked to the Frenchman during the autumn window, with a bid reportedly rejected.

    But ESPN now believe the Red Devils will make a play for Kounde in January.

  • Marc Mayo

    MARTIAL LAW

    Anthony Martial “almost conned” Manchester United when signing as a striker, Paul Scholes has remarked.

    With a goal-getter the former midfielder’s top demand for his old club in the transfer market, he feels Martial has never quite fitted the bill.

    Scholes said on Stadium Astro: “The problem with United’s forwards is that none of them is an actual centre-forward.

    “Martial almost conned us into thinking he was one at the end of last season because he scored so many goals and was quite good.

    “He’s started this season quite poorly again, which makes you think he isn’t. It’s misleading. That’s why I’ve kept saying we need a top-class No. 9.”

  • Marc Mayo

    NOT PHELAN IT

    Mike Phelan is no fan of the Premier League’s new pay-per-view games plan.

    The former Manchester United assistant believes his old club will be targeted for more Box Office games in a bid to raise revenue.

    He told the Manchester Football Association: “I think it's just the nature of the game. They're always trying to push the boat out a little bit more.

    “We're one of those pay-per-views this weekend and when it comes to pay-per-view it seems to be Man United, because I do think they command that pay-per-view audience.

    “It seems a little bit harsh from my point of view and in particular the circumstances we find ourselves in.

    “I think it's important the game projects itself as an instrument now to make people a little bit happier in the face of all this disturbance we live in at the moment and I always think football should be free to air.”

  • Marc Mayo

    MARC OF A GOOD MAN

    Marcus Rashford has thanked a young Liverpool fan who was inspired to draw his portrait.

    The England striker, recently named an MBE, has been hailed for his work in securing free school meals for disadvantaged kids.

  • Marc Mayo

    ROY OF THE ROVERS

    Roy Keane is favourite to take over at Salford City.

    Ladbrokes have the Manchester United legend at just 2/1 to succeed Graham Alexander after the Irishman was in the stands for the weekend draw with Tranmere.

    Paul Scholes was placed in temporary charge of the League Two side, who are co-owned by Class of 92 favourites including Gary Neville and David Beckham.

    Fans were surprised to see Alexander sacked yesterday with Salford fifth in the table and unbeaten in the league so far.

  • Marc Mayo

    PAUL ME CLOSER

    Paul Pogba is 'interested' in a shock free transfer to skint Barcelona, according to shock reports.

    The Frenchman's Manchester United future remains unclear with just one year left to run on his current contract – although the Red Devils do have a 12-month extension clause.

    And according to Mundo Deportivo, the Catalan giants are hoping to take advantage by landing Pogba for nothing next summer.

    The LaLiga side are struggling for cash and were unable to spend big in the transfer window this summer as a result.

    So the report suggests they will make a swoop for the World Cup winner, 27, with a Bosman agreement able to be arranged as early as January.

  • Marc Mayo

    HAALF A CHANCE

    Real Madrid are reportedly keeping tabs on the Borussia Dortmund pair Erling Haaland and Giovanni Reyna.

    Spanish outlet Marca claims that Los Blancos will target Norwegian Haaland if they cannot sign Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe.

    The striker, 20, is said to have a £63million release clause in his Dortmund contract and is considered the perfect replacement for Karim Benzema.

    Manchester United have also been linked with the hotshot forward.

  • Marc Mayo

    BREAKING

    Edinson Cavani is OUT of Manchester United's game with Newcastle.

    The club have confirmed that their new signing will be under quarantine at the time, as per Government guidelines on arrivals from abroad.

    However, Cavani will be free to face Paris Saint-Germain in a week's time.

    Anthony Martial is also unavailable for the trip north, due to a three-game ban.

  • Marc Mayo

    NOT A HAPPY OLLY

    Manchester United have been slammed by Ian Holloway over their role in ‘The Big Picture’.

    The former Blackpool boss outlined his thoughts on the plan, dreamt up by the Red Devils, Liverpool and EFL chairman Rick Parry, that would see extra power and funds handed to the big-six.

    Holloway fumed on talkSPORT: “I have never been so disgusted in my whole life.

    “If we can’t get Simon Jordan in there to tell the people what to do, I’m relying on Oliver Dowden [the culture secretary] right now to carry through the threats. He needs to look at it.

    “It cannot be right or the way forward. Basically, they’ve got a gun to all our heads and trying to take over football and make sure they will get richer. That’s not what football’s about.

    “It’s embarrassing. I’ve never seen anything quite like it in my life. It’s horrendous. It’s a time when everyone is struggling the most. They’ve come up with this. How are they the top six when Manchester United are 16th?”

  • Marc Mayo

    PELL ME MORE

    Facundo Pellistri has been snapped in Manchester United training kit for the first time.

    The Uruguayan, 18, signed for £9million on deadline day and is tipped to go straight into Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first-team mix.

  • Marc Mayo

    TOFF LUCK

    Sergio Romero is reportedly fuming with the club after they blocked a potential move to Everton.

    The Toffees were keen to bring in the Argentine shot-stopper on loan to provide competition for Jordan Pickford, but the Red Devils rejected their approach.

    Romero – who has just one year left on his contract at Old Trafford – has fallen down the pecking order following Dean Henderson's return.

    According to The Athletic, Everton had a £2million loan offer turned down for the ex-Sampdoria star.

    His failed transfer has away has angered Romero, with the shot-stopper also furious having not been told he would be omitted from United's Champions League squad.

  • Marc Mayo

    PAUL THE OTHER ONE

    Edinson Cavani could become a brilliant veteran signing akin to Henrik Larsson – but Paul Scholes has his doubts.

    The Red Devils hero admitted he found it “very strange” to see United sign the former Paris Saint-Germain striker on a free transfer earlier this month.

    Scholes told Stadium Astro: “Five, six years ago, yeah he’s a great signing, he’ll take us to that next level possibly. But I just don’t think he’ll take us to the next level now.

    “But that’s what Manchester United seems to be now, it seems to be – I think of the forwards we have… Cavani, he should be a loan signing.

    “If you’re struggling without a centre-forward it should be a two or three month loan signing just to get through a sticky period. Similar to what Henrik Larsson did.

    “I see Cavani as that kind of person, not at 33 coming to sign a two-year contract. I find it very strange. But he won’t, he’ll be loving it. I’m sure he will.”

  • Marc Mayo

    ANGEL OF THE NORTH

    Former Manchester City defender Angelino is not worried about facing Manchester United in the Champions League.

    Now at RB Leipzig, the Spaniard believes his new team “don't have to hide” against the Red Devils in Group H.

    Angelino told RBLive: “I don't know that much about Basaksehir.

    “We know Paris from the semi-finals in the tournament in Lisbon.

    “What I've seen from Manchester United so far: sometimes they're world class, sometimes they're average. We don't have to hide.”

  • Marc Mayo

    MATA OF FACT

    Juan Mata turned down a mega money move to Saudi Arabia during the transfer window, it has been claimed.

    Spanish newspaper AS detail a whopping £18million contract laid down for the midfielder, 32.

    But, despite being flattered by the offer, Mata wants to try and win a title with Manchester United.

    His contract expires in the summer, with the option for a year extension.

  • Marc Mayo

    SCHOLES WANTS GOALS

    Paul Scholes has stated his desire to see a Borussia Dortmund star sign for Manchester United – but not Jadon Sancho.

    Erling Haaland is the former midfielder's ideal buy, as he will be “up there” with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

    Scholes told Stadium Astro: “I think Haaland is sensational. I think he’ll be up there with your Ronaldo’s and Messi’s levels possibly from what I’ve seen so far.

    “That’s why I just never felt Sancho was the right type of player because we’ve got three of that type of player already.

    “To spend £100m or whatever, I didn’t think it was right. I wasn’t that disappointed.

    “Look, he’s a brilliant player and he’ll probably improve any team but I just didn’t think there was the need for him this year.”

  • <a href='http://www.thesun.co.uk/sport' rel='external nofollow ugc' class='url'>Alex Terrell</a>

    UNITED NATIONS

    Arsene Wenger wants a World Cup or Euros every summer.

    And he is willing to see the Nations League scrapped in order to accommodate the major shake up.

    Wenger, 70, was appointed Fifa's head of global football development last year and suggested the new plans to improve the international game.

    The ex-Arsenal boss – whose home nation France are the reigning world champions – told Bild: “We need to get rid of the Nations League and find clearer events that everyone understands.

    “If you ask people in the street what the Nations League is, you won’t find many able to explain it.

    “We need to have as few events as possible. One World Cup and one European Championship every other year would probably be more appropriate for a modern world.”

  • Joshua Jones

    GOOD MORNING MAN UTD FANS

    Some Man Utd stars are furious at Sergio Romero's treatment, according to reports.

    The backup goalkeeper failed to secure a move away from Old Trafford during the last window as United reportedly refused to let him go for a penny less than £10million.

    The Argentine has now been left out their Champions League squad – replaced by Dean Henderson.

    And that has left members of the Red Devils' dressing room angry, according to ESPN.

    Roy Keane is second-favourite with the bookies to take over as Salford manager after Paul Scholes was named as caretaker on Monday.

    And Axel Tuanzebe has hit back at claims that Edinson Cavani's transfer was a panic buy and says he's one of the best.

    Speaking to the Metro he said: “Edinson [Cavani] will be another addition to the team with his experience, his knowledge of the game and it’ll be great to learn from him.

    “Any smart traits and how to mark someone of his calibre – it’s what you want to come up against – the best – to improve your own abilities.”

    And finally, Arsene Wenger has revealed how painfully close Arsenal came to signing Cristiano Ronaldo in 2003.

    The then-Gunners chief revealed he 'had an agreement' with Sporting Lisbon to sign the Portuguese star in the summer before embarking on the famous 'Invincibles' season.

    Wenger revealed all after being asked if there were any players he regrets missing out on during his career.

    He told The Guardian: “I would say there is not one player… there are 50. We had an agreement with Sporting and Man Utd took Carlos Queiroz as assistant coach, and they just outbid us quickly and took Ronaldo.”

  • William Pugh

    HOMES UNDER HAMMER

    Premier League chiefs want the head of Rick Parry — as it emerged Spurs and Liverpool would get a £150million stadium rebate under Project Big Picture.

    Parry’s future as EFL chairman is under serious threat after football’s civil war intensified.

    Top-flight clubs and League bosses want Parry OUT after he was the frontman for Liverpool and Manchester United’s widely panned scheme.

    The news two of the Big Six wealthiest clubs — both criticised for plans to furlough staff in lockdown — will be huge winners from the proposals added to the turmoil.

    Another day of drama saw all-out war, with:

    – Prem leaders calling off any more EFLbailout talks in protest.

    – Seething club bosses wanting Parry to step down by Thursday’s EFL board meeting, with even some Championship sides admitting the plan is dead.

    – Prem chiefs accusing Parry of seeking to use backing from Liverpool and United to return to the Prem as CEO.

  • William Pugh

    HERE'S JOHNNY – COMMENT

    Well, we can all see the Big Picture now.

    For all the pungent guff which surrounds them, we can see the deep cynicism at the heart of Liverpool Football Club, under the ownership of John W Henry’s Fenway Sports Group.

    And we can see the willingness of Manchester United — under the shambling, grasping Glazer family — to act as lap dogs to their supposedly bitter rivals at Anfield.

    Project Big Picture, authored by Liverpool’s American bankrollers, supported by United, and peddled by their useful idiot, former Liverpool chief executive and current EFL chief Rick Parry, is an extraordinary piece of work.

    It is a scheme of naked greed, unconvincingly dressed up as charity, and concocted with the supreme arrogance of people who take the rest of English football for fools. We have all heard the idea that Liverpool FC are not just a football club but some sort of spiritual and political movement, a force for the common good.

    And we have all seen the club’smisty-eyed ‘This Means More’ marketing campaign. Well, after the revelation of Project Big Picture, we certainly know that this means more power and wealth for Liverpool and their new best friends at United.

  • William Pugh

    A boss capable of turning good players into greats and transforming a club without massive spending.

    Pochettino is playing it cute,keeping his head down at his family homes in north London andBarcelona, shunning TV punditry and saying little on the record.

    And with the restrictions of behind-closed-doors football, it is impossible for Pochettino to join the old vulture culture of out-of-work bosses turning up at a match where a manager appears to be a dead man walking.

    So he waits. That’s what he does. Tick follows tock follows tick follows tock. With perhaps the occasional scan of Rightmove to check out high-end properties in the Manchester commuter belt.

    Because after the collapse ofthe Saudi takeover of Newcastle, which was certainly of interest to Pochettino, Manchester is still his most likely destination.

  • William Pugh

    POCH YOUR STEP – COMMENT

    He has been waiting for almost a year now, Mauricio Pochettino.

    The middle of November will mark the anniversary of the Argentine’s sacking by Tottenham.

    And 12 months of inactivity is a long time for such a workaholic, football-obsessive.

    We are not quite into Alan Curbishley territory yet, where he becomes an 11-2 shot for every Premier League vacancy, without ever taking another managerial job.

    For now, Pochettino remains the king across the water for every major club contemplating a change in the dugout.

    A 48-year-old, who has never lifted a major trophy as a manager, yet whose work in establishingTottenham as Champions League regulars, marks him out as a rarity…

  • William Pugh

    JUST PLAIN ROM

    Some Man Utd stars are furious at Sergio Romero's treatment, according to reports.

    The backup goalkeeper failed to secure a move away from Old Trafford during the last window as United reportedly refused to let him go for a penny less than £10million.

    The Argentine has now been left out their Champions League squad – replaced by Dean Henderson.

    And that has left members of the Red Devils' dressing room angry, according to ESPN.

Source: Read Full Article