8am Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Upamecano cut price £38m deal wanted, Cavani could avoid quarantine – The Sun

8am Man Utd transfer news LIVE: Upamecano cut price £38m deal wanted, Cavani could avoid quarantine – The Sun

10/08/2020

MANCHESTER UNITED are hoping to find a loophole in the UK's quarantine rules to allow Edinson Cavani to avoid two weeks of isolation.

Meanwhile the Red Devils are said believe they will be able to sign Dayot Upamecano for just £38m.

Get all the latest news and transfer deadline day gossip here…

  • John Hutchinson

    AMERICAN DREAM

    Manchester United outcast Sergio Romero is eyeing up a move to the MLS following his wife's angry outburst on social media.

    The Argentine stopper, 33, is now third choice at Old Trafford behind Dean Henderson and David De Gea.

    But Romero hasn't given up hope of a move and is keen to escape to the US, according to the Daily Mail.

    The MLS transfer window is open until October 29, giving Romero – currently at home in Argentina while his future is resolved – three weeks to find a club.

    After the full Premier League window closed, Romero's partner, Eliana Guercio, lashed out at United on Instagram.

    Guercio posted: “Sergio Romero worked hard for his club.

    “Last trophy they won, they lifted it with him.

    “He helped the team reach four finals/semi-finals and then he was on the bench, only to lose them all.

    “It is time for them to return the opportunity and let him go.

    “RESPECT FOR ONCE!!!!”

  • sstreet

    THE ONLY WAY IS UP

    Manchester United failed to land a centre-back in the January transfer window, but maybe that was all part of the plan…

    According to Bild, via the Mirror, RB Leipzig star Dayot Upamecano's release clause will drop to just £38m next summer.

    Man Utd have previously been among the frontrunners for the France international but were unwilling to make a move while the German side continued to demand over £70m.

  • Dave Fraser

    GOOD MORNING UNITED FANS

    Ryan Giggs wants Dan James to step up after Manchester United failed to land Jadon Sancho.

    The Wales winger’s Old Trafford career looked to be under threat as the Red Devils chased the England wideman over the summer window.

    But United would not meet Borussia Dortmund's £108million valuation of Sancho, 20, before the deadline.

    Out-of-favour James, 22, was linked with Leeds and Brighton loans but Dragons boss Giggs — preparing for tonight’s Wembley friendly against England — hopes James can seize the moment.

    Giggs said: “Another winger coming in would mean maybe less games. That’s up to DJ to step up when he does get the chance.”

    Elsewhere, David Moyes reportedly rejected the chance to sign new Manchester United star Edinson Cavani when he was the manager at Old Trafford in 2013.

    The Athletic claims the Scot was urged by Ed Woodward to add the Uruguayan ace to his newly-inherited squad after replacing Sir Alex Ferguson.

    Cavani, now 33, was still at Napoli at the time and had banged in 104 goals in just three seasons.

    Moyes, currently at West Ham, was interested at first and believed the striker would ‘score goals for fun’.

    But despite meeting Cavani’s agent, Moyes ended up pulling the plug after being left unimpressed by THREE separate scouting trips.

    And finally, Sancho is 'more likely' to join Liverpool or Bayern Munich than United next summer, according to reports.

    While the Red Devils had a free run at the England star this year, with no other teams able to part with that kind of fee, the feeling is that they will face much stronger competition next time out.

    According to the Independent, Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has spoken with – and impressed – the 20-year-old in the past.

    And they believe that the Reds will be able to pay what it takes to land Sancho next time around – with the player himself also interested in going to Anfield.

    Sancho was eager to join United this summer, but not willing to burn bridges with Dortmund by handing in a transfer request.

  • Joe Brophy

    CAV A PLAN

    Manchester United are trying to clarify whether new boy Edinson Cavani has to quarantine for a full two weeks.

    The 33-year-old Uruguayan faces a battle to be ready to face his old club Paris Saint-Germain – unless he can find a loophole.

    As things stand he will not be able to link up with his Old Trafford team-mates until Monday week.

    And that would rule Cavani out of United’s next Premier League game – which is at Newcastle on October 17.

    And it would leave him with just one full day of training to prepare for the Champions League clash with his former club in France on October 20.

    Cavani revealed he and his partner have both had Covid-19 – but he has not been part of an elite athlete bubble as he left PSG in June.

    He arrived in the UK on Monday – meaning as things stand his period of self-isolation will continue until next Sunday.

    United are asking questions to establish if there is any way they can get their new boy into Carrington earlier.

  • Joe Brophy

    SOUTH ACHE

    Gareth Southgate accused England’s rule-breaking players of turning the national team into a CIRCUS.

    The angry Three Lions boss also believes the five shamed stars have wasted his time causing extra hassle.

    Ben Chilwell, Jadon Sancho and Tammy Abraham are out of tonight’s friendly with Wales at Wembley for attending a large party on Saturday.

    They may also miss Sunday’s home Nations League clash with Belgium.

    Already axed are Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood who broke lockdown rules in Iceland.

    Southgate said: “We have to recognise that things like this affect the team. They affect the energy. They take time to deal with.

    “And that time would be better spent being able to focus on preparing for training, having coaching conversations with players.

    “So it draws you away from where you really want to be. You want an environment with the players that the pressure on the team is not made higher than it already is by having this circus going around it.”

  • Joe Brophy

    OH DANNY BOY

    Ryan Giggs has continued to heap praise on Dan James.

    James was excellent for Wales in last month’s 1-0 Nations League wins over Finland and Bulgaria but has played just 45 minutes for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side in the Premier League this season.

    Giggs hopes a change of scene can spark James into action, especially with big hitters Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey sidelined as Wales seek a first win over arch-rivals England since 1984.

    Giggs added: “DJ was excellent in both last games. He made the goal in the first and was brilliant for us. He had not played a lot but looked sharp.

    “Dan has friends here. He always enjoys coming away, the training, the atmosphere, playing for the country.

    “If Gareth and Aaron are here or not, he’s still a threat. He has got speed that always keeps the opposition interested.

    “He has that directness as he showed in our last games. If he has not been playing it gives him the opportunity to get minutes.

    “No matter what team goes to Wembley and wins it’s a huge achievement.

    “I have happy memories at both the old and new Wembley. Hopefully there’s another coming.”

  • Joe Brophy

    JA-DAN SANCHO

    Ryan Giggs wants Dan James to step up after Manchester United failed to land Jadon Sancho.

    The Wales winger’s Old Trafford career looked to be under threat as the Red Devils chased the England wideman over the summer window.

    But United would not meet Borussia Dortmund's £108million valuation of Sancho, 20, before the deadline.

    Out-of-favour James, 22, was linked with Leeds and Brighton loans but Dragons boss Giggs — preparing for tomorrow's Wembley friendly against England — hopes James can seize the moment.

    Giggs said: “Another winger coming in would mean maybe less games. That’s up to DJ to step up when he does get the chance.”

  • Joe Brophy

    ICYMI

    A recap of Manchester United's much-debated transfer window…

  • Joe Brophy

    THEATRE OF SCREAMS

    Eddie Hearn wants to host a charity boxing bout between Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand at Old Trafford.

    The Matchroom boss also teased the idea of luring Liverpool powerhouse Virgil van Dijk into the boxing ring.

    Rooney, 34, and Ferdinand, 41, made a combined total of 1,014 appearances for Manchester United during their careers.

    But Hearn has plans in the pipeline to bring the legendary duo back to Old Trafford one more time.

    During a discussion with Van Dijk on his No Passion No Point podcast, the promoter said: “I'd like to do Wayne Rooney against Rio Ferdinand at Old Trafford.

    “Because they both think they can fight a bit, you know?”

  • Joe Brophy

    TELL TALES

    Manchester United reportedly considered making a move for Chelsea defender Emerson Palmeri.

    Speaking on the Here We Go podcast, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano has revealed that the Red Devils would have moved for the Italian had their move for Alex Telles failed.

    Telles eventually joined United from Porto on deadline day while Emerson had been heavily linked with a move back to Serie A following Ben Chilwell's arrival at Stamford Bridge.

  • Joe Brophy

    JUVE GOT NO CHANCE OLE

    Ousmane Dembele reportedly rejected a loan move to Manchester United as he wants to join Juventus.

    Mundo Deportivo claims the winger, 23, knows he has no future under Ronald Koeman at Barcelona.

    And Dembele, who won the World Cup with France in 2018, apparently has his heart set on a move to Andrea Pirlo’s new-look Turin outfit.

    Indeed, the ex-Borussia Dortmund ace is so determined to get his switch to Italy that he even snubbed United on deadline day.

  • Joe Brophy

    OFF ON RON FOOT

    Cristiano Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos have not spoken to each other for two years, according to reports.

    The Portuguese star, 35, left Real Madrid in 2018 and joined Juventus in a £99million transfer.

    And Marca reckon the former team-mates have not spoken to each other since – with Ronaldo left 'upset' by Ramos' Ballon d'Or snub.

    Ronaldo won two LaLiga titles, two Copa del Rey crowns and four Champions Leagues in nine years at Madrid.

    Since then, he has picked up back-to-back Serie As with Juventus while Zinedine Zidane led his side to the league title last season.

    Despite leaving on good terms and well respected, he reportedly felt shunned when Ramos backed his Real team-mate Luka Modric for the 2018 Ballon d'Or.

  • Joe Brophy

    OVER TO BRU

    Manchester United are reportedly concerned about the mental and physical pressure being placed on Bruno Fernandes.

    The midfielder, 26, has been the star of the show at Old Trafford since he joined from Sporting Lisbon in January.

    Portuguese outlet O Jogo claim United are worried he is suffering as a result of the demands placed on him.

  • Joe Brophy

    DE-PAY THE PRICE

    Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has confirmed Memphis Depay is disappointed his dream move to Barcelona fell through on deadline day.

    The clubs had agreed a £22million fee plus add-ons for the ex-Manchester United forward, but the cash-strapped LaLiga giants were unable to raise the necessary funds to make the transfer happen on Monday.

    He said: “Since the beginning I have been clear with Memphis.

    “I spoke with President Bartomeu at Barcelona twice, he told me he couldn’t see how things could happen.

    “I know that Koeman made him continue to hope and that Memphis was ready to make sacrifices.

    “Today, he is disappointed, but not towards Lyon, more towards Barcelona.

    “He is going to do everything he can to find himself in a position where he moves there in January.

    “Rudi Garcia, he fought with everything he had for Memphis to stay.

    “I have not abandoned the idea of extending [Depay's] contract, but as he has always said no, it looks difficult to do.”

  • Joe Brophy

    NEW RULES

    Jadon Sancho is an A-grade player.

    And the fact that he remains a painful knife in Manchester City’s back is why the club believes the answer is B-Teams.

    But his departure, along with that of Welsh midfielder Ravi Matondo to Schalke, and the losses of Jamie Bynoe-Gittens to Dortmund and Dutchman Noah Ohio to Leipzig, has become more than an irritation to the City hierarchy.

    Chief executive Ferran Soriano did not try to hide the running sore as he outlined the solution.

    Speaking at LeadersWeek.direct, he said: “Developing young players in England is a problem. B Teams are not allowed and we have a development gap of boys who are 17 and 18.

    “They cannot find the right place to develop and are taken by taken by the German teams – who try to sell them back to us at 10 times the price they paid.This is bad,something we needed to solve.

    “Maybe the Covid crisis will give us the opportunity and will nudge us to get together and solve this problem.”

  • Joe Brophy

    CARA-BYE CUP

    Manchester City will push for a cull of the League Cup to help cut the number of games for the Etihad outfit.

    Pep Guardiola’s Carabao Cup holders have won the competition three years in a row and face Arsenal in a December quarter-final.

    But despite their stunning success – with City having lifted the trophy five times in the past seven years – chief executive Ferran Soriano suggested it might be a necessary casualty if football is to move forward.

    Soriano, speaking at LeadersWeek.direct, said: “There is a real problem of too many games being played by the clubs in the Premier League.

    “There are ways to cut this. Some games need to be played to generate the fans and revenue for the whole football pyramid.

    “But other games don’t add value and put the players at risk.

    “The welfare of the players was a problem before Covid. Now it’s an extreme problem.”

  • Joe Brophy

    KING OF THE HILL

    West Brom have opened talks with Bournemouth over a £10million move for Josh King after Slaven Bilic pleaded with his board to solve his striker crisis.

    Bilic made signing a striker one of his top priorities after winning automatic promotion to the Premier League in July.

    He has applied pressure to his board who have responded by approaching Bournemouth about their wantaway striker King.

    The Norwegian international, a January transfer target for Manchester United, is available for a cut-price £10million and the Cherries are keen to get him off the wage bill.

  • Joe Brophy

    RONAL-GO

    Juventus are preparing for life without Cristiano Ronaldo and want him to become mentor to their younger stars when he leaves.

    Despite his key role, Juve would like to lower the average age of their squad and Ronaldo falls into the older group.

    According to Sports Findings, the Serie A side are acutely aware of Ronaldo’s value and would like him stay at the club in a mentoring role to their younger up and coming stars.

  • Joe Brophy

    BOTTLER CAVA

    David Moyes reportedly rejected the chance to sign new Manchester United star Edinson Cavani when he was the manager at Old Trafford in 2013.

    The Athletic claims Moyes, who also famously snubbed now-Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara, was urged by Ed Woodward to add the Uruguayan ace to his newly-inherited squad after leaving Everton to replace Sir Alex Ferguson.

    Cavani, now 33, was still at Napoli at the time and had banged in 104 goals in just three seasons.

    Moyes, currently at West Ham, was interested at first and believed the striker would ‘score goals for fun’.

    But despite meeting Cavani’s agent, Moyes ended up pulling the plug after being left unimpressed by THREE separate scouting trips.

  • Joe Brophy

    MAUR PRESSURE

    Mauricio Pochettino is now the odds-on favourite to become the next Manchester United manager.

    Pochettino's odds have been slashed while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is the second favourite with the bookies to be the first Premier League manager to be sacked this season.

    Solskjaer's days are looking numbered at Man Utd after a humiliating 6-1 defeat at home to Tottenham.

    And now Spurs' ex-manager Pochettino is a clear front runner to replace him as he's now just a 4/6 shot with Ladbrokes to be next Red Devils gaffer.

    His odds have shifted simultaneously alongside Solskjaer's – with the under-fire boss now at 15/8 to be sacked.

    He only trails Scott Parker in the sack race, with Fulham having lost all four of their Premier League games so far this season.

  • Jack Figg

    PAR FROM HAPPY

    Parma have hit out at Atalanta for accepting Manchester United’s bid for Amad Diallo.

    The Serie A side were also in for the teenage winger and feel hard done by to have lost out.

    Parma director Alessandro Lucarelli told Sky Sports Italia: “We worked according to the dictates of the new club, we tried to buy many young players who will be able to give us a hand.

    “We already had a proven squad, which is strengthened by many interesting young players.

    “You must ask Atalanta about Diallo, we had the agreement and then the negotiation with Manchester United started and they sold him.

    “We covered ourselves with other players and we will make up for it, but he would have been useful.”

  • Jack Figg

    EDIN BACK

    Edinson Cavani could make his Manchester United debut in an emotional clash with old side Paris Saint-Germain.

    Uruguayan striker Cavani, 33, joined United in a free transfer worth £200,000 a week on deadline day after leaving PSG when his contract expired at the end of June.

    And The Times reports that because he has continued to live in Paris, he will have to quarantine for 14 days in line with government regulations for anyone arriving into the UK from France.

    The exemption for elite athletes only applies if players are coming from a secure bubble environment where they are tested regularly.

    New left-back Alex Telles has been in a bubble with Porto therefore is available to link-up immediately with his new team-mates.

  • Jack Figg

    DAVE RAGE

    David De Gea ripped into Manchester United team-mate Luke Shaw and raged 'what's your problem?' against Spurs.

    The Spanish keeper can be heard bellowing at England left-back Shaw, 25, to stay in position during the 6-1 drubbing at the hands of Jose Mourinho's Tottenham.

    With games still being played behind closed doors amid the coronavirus pandemic, it is far easier to hear players communicating than normal.

    And Shaw received a verbal barrage from his keeper in the lead up to Son Heung-min scoring Spurs' fourth goal in the humiliating first-half display.

    De Gea boomed: “LUKEEE! No Luke! No Luke! RUNNN!”

    And after Son had poked the ball past the 29-year-old shot-stopper, De Gea blasted his left-back – who seemingly had ignored him.

    He fumed: “What is your problem – hey?”

  • Jack Figg

    WILL POWER

    Brandon Williams is making his England Under-21s debut.

    The Manchester United defender starts as England play Andorra.

  • Jack Figg

    BET HE'S HAPPY

    A lucky Manchester United fan is counting his cash after winning a staggering £21,400 from a £20 bet.

    Wayne Jones from North Wales unbelievably backed a Premier League double with odds of 1,071/1.

    His first bet was Jack Grealish to score first against Fulham at odds of 15/2.

    When that cashed in, he was left with an unlikely 125/1 outside shot.

    Wayne had backed Alexandre Lacazette to score first and Arsenal to lose 3-1 against rivals Liverpool last Monday.

    Unbelievably the Frenchman scored against the run of play on 25 minutes before Sadio Mane, Andrew Robertson and Diogo Jota's 88th minute goal left him celebrating.

Source: Read Full Article