Max Holloway on 'shortlist' to fight Conor McGregor when the Notorious returns to UFC from horror leg break11/10/2021
MAX HOLLOWAY believes he's on the 'shortlist' to welcome Conor McGregor back to the octagon – despite no longer being in the same weight class as the UFC superstar.
Blessed will bid to earn a second crack at reigning featherweight king Alexander Volkanovski on Saturday night in the main event of UFC Vegas 42 against dynamic striker Yair Rodriguez.
But the Hawaiian reckons he'll be in the running to face The Notorious when his old 145lb rival eventually recovers from his broken leg.
When asked about his route back to the 145lb title, Holloway told TMZ: "I got 5 titles wins. 5 title fight wins. I want that 6 title fight win.
"And, if it can be Alex, then so be it.
"But, at the end of the day, UFC discussed with us a bunch of things, a bunch of possibilities. I got a win over the 155 champ in their division.
"I'm on a short list for Conor McGregor. Always on a shortlist for that fight. I'm the best boxer in the UFC."
McGregor, 33, is still recovering from the horrific broken leg he suffered in his UFC 264 trilogy fight with Dustin Poirier in July.
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
The Irishman has flirted with a trilogy and quadrilogy fights with Nate Diaz and Poirier.
But fan favourite Holloway believes a showdown with his old rival would do big business.
He said: "I think Conor, he's always talking about Nate [Diaz], always talking about Dustin [Poirier] now.
"But if you go call Hunter [Campbell] at the UFC, one of the guys here, and ask him who is the guy gonna sell pay-per-views at 45 or 55. That's gonna make a name with Conor and do high numbers.
"My name always comes up. I can't wait. I can't wait. It'd be a fun one for sure. Maybe it's not even at T-Mobile Arena, maybe something at Raiders stadium."
Holloway and McGregor locked horns with one another eight years ago at UFC Fight Night 26 in Boston.
McGregor got the better of a then 21-year-old Holloway that night, registering a unanimous decision victory over the former featherweight king.
Despite suffering a horrific injury in his third clash with Poirier, Mystic Mac is on course to return to the cage next year.
And the Dubliner's manager – Audie Attar – revealed to SunSport last month his recovery is going better than expected.
The Paradigm Sports Management chief said: "He's ahead of schedule.
"We not only just got our X-ray results [back], [we got] our ultrasound results and CT scan results.
"And when I look at the view of the X-ray myself, it's healing so beautifully.
"He's only 10-and-a-half weeks out of surgery and he's walking.
"And he's actually doing s*** that we don't want him to do like throwing the first pitch at the Cubs game."
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Source: Read Full Article