Sky Sports axe Soccer Saturday star Tony Cottee after 20 years as West Ham legend looks ahead to future08/03/2021
SKY SPORTS have axed Soccer Saturday star Tony Cottee after 20 years of service.
A year ago, the broadcasters caused an uproar after sacking fan-favourites Matt Le Tissier, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas in a massive shake-up.
And now West Ham icon Cottee, 56, has revealed he too has been told he's no longer wanted.
The former Everton and Leicester striker released an emotional statement thanking everyone for their hard work during his two decades on the show.
Cottee tweeted: "After 20 years @SkySports, today I was told that I will no longer be on the Soccer Saturday show.
"I’ve got fantastic memories and had lots of laughs but it’s now time for me to move on and see what the future will bring.
"It was a privilege to be a part of such a great team.
"I’d like to thank everyone I’ve worked with at Soccer Saturday in that time.
"And a special thanks to all the cameramen and back room staff who have looked after me so well.
"Perhaps there won’t be so many 0-0’s now?!"
As it was last summer, fans reacted in uproar at the questionable decision.
One tweeted: "Can’t believe @SkySports is letting another absolute legend go from Soccer Saturday.
"Those with the power have no clue about what (and who) the people want."
Another wrote: "Absolute joke, I have lost all interest in Soccer Saturday over the last 12 months."
Soccer Saturday Jeff Stelling still has his job, with Arsenal legend Paul Merson also on the show last season despite the mass firings.
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
Last year, Stelling revealed his disappointment at Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas being let go, calling it one of his 'saddest days'.
The trio quickly found work elsewhere on the Paddy Power show Pundits.
Cottee's next move is not yet known.
⚽ Read our Transfer news live blog for the very latest rumours, gossip and done deals
Source: Read Full Article