Boy George signed up to IAC because he was sad biopic was shelved11/07/2022
Boy George signed up for I’m A Celeb to ease his sadness after plans for a Hollywood biopic on his life were shelved.
The Culture Club singer, 61, is reportedly being paid £500,000 to be in the Jungle.
That’s more than anyone in its 20-year history.
READ MORE: I'm a Celebrity fans gobsmacked as Hollyoaks star 'didn't know who Boy George was'
But he could miss out on millions more after plans for his film, Karma Chameleon, were put on hold.
Despite a script being written for the movie, named after the band’s 1983 No1 hit, there are no set plans to start production.
It was given the go-ahead in 2019 after the global success of Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody and Elton John’s Rocketman.
The film was set to show George’s rise to fame in the 1980s with Culture Club alongside Jon Moss, Roy Hay and Mikey Craig.
George, whose full name is George Alan O’Dowd, had previously confirmed Line Of Duty actor Daniel Mays would play his dad, Jerry.
Harry Styles, 28, was originally linked with the lead role.
But the Do You Really Want To Hurt Me singer later said: “There was talk of Harry Styles but I think he ran. He was too scared.”
This time last year George revealed Yungblud, 25, was in talks to play him.
But, according to the rocker, the project has now been put on hold.
Yungblud, real name Dominic Harrison, said: “I was all ready to play the part but the brakes have been put on it, which is a shame.
“I don’t know what is happening with the film anymore.
“I’m ready to do it when they are but I don’t think it is happening anymore.”
A source said: “George is obviously disappointed filming hasn’t been given the green light yet.
“He’s downhearted but he isn’t giving up. He’s still hopeful the film will eventually be made and get a cinema release.
“Hopefully his stint in the Jungle will be a distraction.”
Speaking about his imminent spell in the jungle, Boy George said that he will be the “in-house dietician” and will entertain everyone by singing.
He added: “I am bored of being iconic in the corner and if you want to compete in the world then being part of telly is part of that.
“This is the biggest show on TV and that is why I am doing it. And now I have made the decision, I don’t want to focus too much on what the experience might be like, but my intention is it is going to be amazing.
“It’s three weeks without make-up and three weeks is nothing. I have just done seven weeks on tour.”
The new series of I'm a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! starts next Sunday (November 6) on ITV and ITV Hub from 9pm.
- Terrifying I'm A Celeb challenge sees platforms suspended from 334ft skyscraper
- I'm A Celebrity host Declan Donnelly arrives in Australia with son ahead of new series
- I'm A Celeb's Lady C calls in ghost hunters as she stars on Help! My House Is Haunted
Source: Read Full Article