Daily Podcast: The Highs and Lows of the 2021 Academy Awards04/26/2021
On the April 26, 2021 episode of /Film Daily, /Film senior writer Ben Pearson is joined by managing editor Jacob Hall, weekend editor Brad Oman, and writers Hoai-Tran Bui and Chris Evangelista to talk about the 93rd Academy Awards.
In The News:
- The Setting/Format/Tone
- Lack of Clips/Montages
- Song Performances Happened During the Pre-Show
- No Playing People Off, So the Speeches Were Long
- Ask Chris about “watching” it via Twitter
- Frances McDormand’s howl (backstory)
- Oscars Trivia segment, leading to Glenn Close’s “Da Butt”
- Brad: The Morning Watch: 2021 Oscars Highlights: New Format, Best Speeches, Glenn Close Loves “Da Butt”, and More
- Chloe Zhao is the first woman of color to ever win a directing Oscar.
- Anthony Hopkins is now the oldest Oscar winner in any acting category at 83 years old.
- Frances McDormand is now the second person to ever win Best Actress three times, joining Katharine Hepburn, who has four.
- Yuh-jung Youn is the first Korean performer to win an Oscar in an acting category.
- Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson became the first Black women to win an Oscar in the Best Makeup and Hairstyling category for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.
- Emerald Fennell’s win for Best Original Screenplay is the first time a woman has won that category since Diablo Cody won for Juno.
- Even during a pandemic year, Netflix couldn’t win Best Picture.
All the other stuff you need to know:
- You can find more about all the stories we mentioned on today’s show at slashfilm.com, and linked inside the show notes.
- /Film Daily is published every weekday, bringing you the most exciting news from the world of movies and television as well as deeper dives into the great features from slashfilm.com.
- You can subscribe to /Film Daily on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the popular podcast apps (RSS).
- Send your feedback, questions, comments and concerns to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please leave your name and general geographic location in case we mention the e-mail on the air.
- Please rate and review the podcast on Apple Podcasts, tell your friends and spread the word!
- Thanks to Sam Hume for our logo.
Source: Read Full Article