Elton John and ex wife Renate Blauel settle £3m court battle over his autobiography and film

Elton John and ex wife Renate Blauel settle £3m court battle over his autobiography and film

10/14/2020

SIR Elton John has agreed an out-of-court settlement with his ex-wife Renate Blauel, after she sued him for £3million over his autobiography and film.

The Sun previously told how a judge had given them until 4pm on Tuesday to agree an end to their legal battle over claims his portrayal of her in the book and blockbuster breached the terms of their 1988 divorce deal.

And a spokesman for the rock icon yesterday confirmed the former couple had reached an agreement, which means neither will ever discuss their marriage again.

A statement said: “The parties are happy to announce that they have resolved this case, in a way that acknowledges Renate’s need for privacy.

“For her part, Renate acknowledges that Elton has acted in a dignified and respectful way towards her in the last 30 years and has been always happy to help her.

“They will not be discussing each other, or their marriage, in future and will be making no further comment about the case.”

It comes after Sir Elton previously refused to pay up – with sources saying he believed she had exaggerated her claims in pursuit of cash.

A source said: “This legal dispute was becoming increasingly bitter, and looked like going all the way to a full on court battle with loads of money at stake.

“Neither would back down for many months, but in the end it seems to have been better for all concerned to keep this dignified and away from a public courtroom.

“Elton was also very keen to stay civilised with Renate after all of these years so has softened to make sure they get things sorted between the two of them.”

Neither party would confirm the value of the behind-closed-doors settlement, but it’s thought they will have met half way financially.

The agreement reaffirms their promises not to discuss each other or their marriage in the future.

In July we revealed how reclusive Renate was suing Sir Elton, 73. In a 20-page writ, the German-born sound engineer's lawyers told how she had been left facing serious health problems because of Sir Elton's disclosures in blockbuster Rocketman and his biography, Me.

She claimed his account "seriously misrepresented the nature of their relationship".


Renate alleged Sir Elton even tried to have kids with her despite claiming in his memoir that he did not want them until meeting husband David Furnish years later.

Instead she says she struggled to conceive.

Renate's lawyers claim she asked Sir Elton to cut the passage from his book but he refused to do so.

The couple wed in 1984 but separated four years later.

Under the terms of their split, Sir Elton allegedly agreed to keep details private, but Renate claims he has since backtracked.

She claimed the impact of the film, starring Taron Egerton as the singer, left her suffering "recurring nightmares, agoraphobia, fear, depression and anxiety."

In response, Sir Elton said Renate's claims had been exaggerated to get more cash from his estate.

He denied breaching the terms of their agreement and says she did not complain when Sir Elton previously spoke about their marriage.

Source: Read Full Article