The Duggar family is 'trapped in Counting On contracts for six months & can't get new TV gigs' despite show cancelation

The Duggar family is 'trapped in Counting On contracts for six months & can't get new TV gigs' despite show cancelation

07/08/2021

THE Duggar family is "trapped in their TLC contracts for six months and can't get new TV gigs" – despite Counting On being axed following Josh's child pornography arrest, a source has exclusively told The Sun.

The network pulled the plug on the show after almost six years last week, after the troubled 33-year-old was charged with two counts of possessing and receiving child pornography.


The Sun revealed the family is losing out on around $850k a year – and now a source has exclusively told us they will be locked in their contracts for months to come.

The inside said: "Now TLC has axed the show, most of the family are desperate to get out of the contracts, they think it's unfair they can't move on yet and sign any other deals.

"They will be doing everything they can to get out of them, and be looking at future projects either on TV or with brands.

"The contracts also mean the family can't speak too much about the show, it being canceled, or how Josh's arrest has affected the family, they have to be very careful." 


The source added: "Jim Bob is happy about that part of the deal as he likes to have control over what it said about the family's TV career, and usually chooses to stay silent on matters."

The Sun has reached out to TLC and the Duggar's family rep for comment, but did not hear back.

Jim Bob and his wife, Michelle, did release a short statement following the show's cancelation, which was confirmed by TLC after The Sun broke the news last Tuesday.

It read: "Since we began filming so long ago, we’ve had the amazing honor to share our lives, our faith, and our story with you — including some of the most difficult and painful moments our family has ever faced.

"We are full of deep gratitude for the love shown to us and the prayers of so many who have sustained us both now and through the years."


Jim Bob and Michelle's daughter Jill Duggar and husband Derick Dillard have previously opened up about Counting On's "control" over their family.

Derick claimed he and Jill were never paid for appearing in front of the cameras, telling In Touch Weekly he always thought everyone volunteered their time for the show.

He shared: "For a long time, Jill and I were under the impression that the family didn’t make any money from the show, but, rather, it was presented to us kids as something that was done as a ministry that TLC periodically subsidized in the form [of] reimbursements for things."

He claimed Jim Bob "negotiated" everyone's contracts and he never spoke to the network himself.


Derick alleged he and Jill thought TLC would pay their medical expenses after they agreed to film the birth of their son, Sam, but they refused – despite filming a TV special.

In a lengthy statement on their blog, the couple said this week: "It's been over 4 years now since we chose to step away from the show, and, although we were initially barred from sharing our decision to leave the show, we have opened up a little more recently on our social media."

The married pair added: "However, we also faced many pressures and some unexpected challenges which forced us to step away from the show in an effort to gain more control over our own lives and to do what was best for our family."

The statement concluded: "The pursuit of freedom and authenticity has been a growing theme in our lives.

"Our story is still being written, and this event is just one more step forward toward that goal.


"Our family’s departure from 19 Kids & Counting and Counting On has allowed us to make our own decisions, including the ability to have a choice in what we share.

"For now, we will move forward on our own terms, and we look forward to whatever opportunities the future holds."

Jill and Derick have become estranged from her famous family in recent years. 

Other Duggars have spoken out briefly since the cancelation news, including Jim Bob's daughter Jinger, 27, and husband Jeremy Vuolo, 33.


Following the announcement, they said in a statement that they "wholeheartedly agree" with TLC's decision to end the Duggars 13-year-run on the network.

The duo have been vocal with their thoughts on the situation, writing on Instagram: "We wholeheartedly agree with TLC’s decision not to renew ‘Counting On’ and are excited for the next chapter in our lives.

"We'd like to thank our fans, friends and the amazing film crew who have shown us love and support.

"We are grateful for TLC giving us the opportunity to be on their network over the years and their kindness towards the Vuolo family.

"It's been a remarkable journey that has opened doors to traveling and experiencing the world in a way that we wouldn’t have imagined possible."

Jinger and Jeremy currently live in Los Angeles and have been distancing themselves from the rest of the family following her brother Josh's arrest.

    Source: Read Full Article