Hotel owner accused of murder after young couple found dead naked in the shower from carbon monoxide poisoning

Hotel owner accused of murder after young couple found dead naked in the shower from carbon monoxide poisoning


A HOTEL owner has been accused of murder after a "perfect" young couple were found dead in a shower from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The lifeless bodies of Jean Vosloo, 25, and Mari Hoon, 28, were found by a pal at the Kliphuis Guesthouse in the Eastern Cape of South Africa last year.

Kevin Pretorius, 47, was charged with two counts of murder on Tuesday after a year-long police investigation.

The engaged couple from Gauteng had been staying at his hotel, located on a farm 11 miles from Kareedouw, for a mini-break with a friend.

Their friend, Stephan, made the gruesome discovery of their bodies on April 26 last year.

The police launched an investigation into the death of the couple, who had no apparent injuries.

A toxicology report later found they died from carbon monoxide poisoning and their blood contained more than 70 percent of the deadly gas.

Carbon monoxide – known as the silent killer – is produced when there isn't enough oxygen during combustion, for example from a gas boiler or a fire.

It poisons the body by blocking the red blood cells from being able to transport oxygen.

Following statements from witnesses and experts over the last year, cops charged Pretorius with two counts of murder.

He appeared in court in Humansdorp on Tuesday following his arrest.

"Pretorius' arrest follows an extensive investigation, which started on Sunday, April 26, 2020 as an inquest," police spokesperson Sergeant Majola Nkohli said, according to Algoa FM.

Vosloo, an agriculture graduate, and Hoon, who studied business management, were due to get married last month.

Sune Hoon, Mari's sister, said the young couple met when they were students in Stellenbosch and got engaged two years later.

She told YOU: "I think Mari knew from the start that Jean was the man she wanted to marry. They were a perfect couple.

"They were like peanut butter and syrup – they did everything together."

Police initially said they believed a faulty gas boiler was to blame for their deaths and specific details of the breakthrough which led to the charges have not been revealed.

The charges follow a number of police interviews with several people, including experts, since the investigation started on April 26 last year.

Pretorius was granted bail and is due to appear in court on May 24.

He has refused to comment on the case.

Source: Read Full Article