Man, 39, jailed for campaign of terror against ex-partner 29

Man, 39, jailed for campaign of terror against ex-partner 29


Mother-of-one who broke up with her abusive boyfriend when he throttled her in jealous row says she has been left suicidal after he messaged her 3,000 times begging her to get back with him

  • Steven Thorley, 39, admitted stalking and assaulting his ex partner Jessica Bajic 
  • Thorley, who had 25 prior convictions, messaged Ms Bajic some 3,000 times 
  • He was jailed for  21 months by Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester

A tormented mother of one has been left feeling suicidal after her abusive ex-boyfriend messaged her 3,000 times in a warped bid to force her to rekindle their relationship.

Jessica Bajic, 29, broke up with Steven Thorley after he throttled her with his bare hands during a jealously fuelled row before dumping her in a bath fully clothed and sprayed her with cold water.

But Thorley, 39, who was wrongly convinced Miss Bajic was cheating on him, begged her to get back with him and sent her 100 messages a day over an eight month period.

He also scaled a flat roof outside her apartment and repeatedly smashed her windows when she refused to answer calls.

When he was finally charged by police Thorley a father of two, from Heaton Norris, Stockport, Greater Manchester, blamed his victim for his obsessed behaviour.

Ms Bajic said she had considered taking her own life as Thorley had made her life intolerable

Steven Thorley, left, was jailed for 21 months having admitted stalking, criminal damage and actual bodily harm against his ex girlfriend Jessica Bajic, right. The 39-year-old criminal was also banned from contacting Ms Bajic indefinitely

In a statement to police Miss Bajic said: ‘I felt suicidal because I do not feel like there is an end in sight. I feel like he knows my routine in and out and I am scared to leave the house in case he is waiting for me.’

Miss Bajic said Thorley would ‘bombard’ her with up to 100 messages a day and ‘would not take no for an answer’. 

She told police she took a number of precautions, including changing her phone number, taking out a non-molestation order and altering her daily routine. 

In a statement which was read out in court, she said: ‘I was hyper vigilant when walking and would use my phone to audio record whilst walking. My mental health has deteriorated. I struggle to have my windows open for long periods. I saw him at the gym and I just had to look down in case he thought I was looking at someone else.’

At Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester, Thorley was jailed for 21 months after he admitted stalking, criminal damage, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and intimidating a witness. He was in breach of a community order imposed last year for battery and possession of cannabis.

The court heard the couple had been in a relationship for six years from 2015 but he had exhibited jealously during that time.

Prosecuting counsel Lisa Bookock said after Thorley strangled Miss Bajic, he prevented her from calling police. She later managed to report the incident when she spoke to a nurse at hospital. 

Ms Bajic said she tried to change her mobile phone number and alter her daily routine in a bid to avoid contact with Thorley, who sent her some 3,000 messages

The court heard Thorley had tried to prevent Miss Bajic giving evidence against him as he wanted to continue having contact with his children.

During his campaign of intimidation, Thorley established fake social media profiles to check whether Miss Bajic had started any new relationships.   

Thorley had 25 prior convictions, including battery, harassment and breach of restraining orders in a domestic context. His counsel Milena Bennett said: ‘He has not had the opportunity to realise what he has done and to understand his behaviour.’

But Judge Maurice Greene told him: ‘It must have been incredibly frightening for the victim. You sent numerous messages which caused her considerable distress and she was scared to leave her house and scared to open the windows.

‘She wanted to move on with her life but you wouldn’t let her. You sent in excess of 3,000 messages and calls contacting her during that time, almost 100 calls a day. You said you were going to kill yourself. It was emotional blackmail and you made her life unbearable.’

Thorley was also banned from contacting Miss Bajic indefinitely under the terms of a restraining order.

Source: Read Full Article