Meghan Markle and Prince Harry reveal they will take parental leave after Lilibet’s birth06/07/2021
MEGHAN Markle and Prince Harry have revealed they will take parental leave after the birth of their baby girl.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex welcomed Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, who shares the Queen's family nickname, at 11.40am on Friday in California.
🔵 Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest updates
Meghan and Harry announced the news on their Archewell website, writing: “She is more than we could have ever imagined.”
An accompanying statement confirmed the new arrival weighed 7lbs 11oz, while "both mother and child are healthy and well and settling in at home".
In a footnote below, the couple quietly announced their intention to take joint parental leave.
A brief note read: "While the Duke and Duchess are on parental leave, Archewell will continue to do important work and publish stories on the site.
"We look forward to seeing you!"
What we know so far:
- Meghan and Harry have given birth to a baby girl called Lilibet "Lili" Diana Mountbatten-Windsor in a touching nod to the Queen
- She was born at hospital in Santa Barbara on Friday morning weighing 7lbs 11oz
- Lili and Meghan are "healthy and well" and "settling in at home"
- Meghan and Harry have asked people to support organisations working for women and girls instead of giving a present
- Lili is now eighth in line to the throne, behind her older brother Archie
- Meghan and Harry kept birth a secret for two DAYS before announcing baby joy to the world
- Queen, William and Kate Middleton say they are 'delighted' after Meghan Markle and Prince Harry welcome baby Lilibet
- The clues Meghan Markle and Prince Harry chose their baby girl’s name Lili years earlier
While Harry took two weeks of paternal leave after the birth of his first-born, Archie, it is not clear how long he and mum Meghan will take off this time.
The former royals have a number of commitments they will eventually need to get back to, from Harry's new role as "chief impact officer" with US mental health firm BetterUp Inc to the couple's joint Spotify and Netflix roles.
The Duke and Duchess also recently announced a multi-year global partnership with Procter & Gamble, helping the company "build a more equitable and just future for women and girls".
Announcing the birth of their daughter yesterday, they said: "On June 4, we were blessed with the arrival of our daughter, Lili.
"She is more than we could have ever imagined, and we remain grateful for the love and prayers we've felt from across the globe.
"Thank you for your continued kindness and support during this very special time for our family."
The name Lilibet is a touching nod to her great-grandmother the Queen, who was affectionately called the nickname by her family.
And Her Majesty and the royals yesterday said they were "delighted" at the news and made a touching tribute to the couple and their baby girl.
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “The Queen, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been informed and are delighted with the news of the birth of a daughter for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge tweeted: "We are all delighted by the happy news of the arrival of baby Lili.
"Congratulations to Harry, Meghan and Archie."
The couple asked anyone wishing to send a present to instead "support or learn more" about organisations working for women and girls.
They are yet to release a picture of their darling daughter.
Source: Read Full Article