Trump teases 2024 run after slamming Facebook ban as he claims Mark Zuckerberg 'BEGGED to have dinner with him'06/04/2021
FORMER President Donald Trump slammed Facebook for maintaining its ban on his social media accounts, calling the move "insulting" to him and those who voted for him.
The scathing comments came after Facebook's independent oversight committee upheld Trump's suspension from the platform until at least January 7, 2023.
In a statement, Trump added snidely that CEO Mark Zuckerberg used to request dinners at the White House.
The former president said there will be no more of those moving forward.
"Next time I'm in the White House there will be no more dinners, at his request, with Mark Zuckerberg and his wife. It will be all business!" Trump said.
Trump's mention of the "next time" he will be in the White House had fans hoping that he plans to run for reelection in 2024, something he has hinted at several times.
Trump's jab at Zuckerburg comes after an earlier statement railing against the tech company for upholding Trump's suspension until 2023.
"Facebook's ruling is an insult to the record-setting 75 million people, plus many others, who voted for us in the 2020 Rigged Presidential Election," Trump said.
"They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this censoring and silencing, and ultimately, we will win," he went on. "Our Country can't take this abuse anymore!"
Longtime Trump supporters seemed to agree. House Republican Whip Steve Scalise said that it is time for "big changes at Big Tech."
Facebook said Trump will be eligible to have his account reinstated in January 2023, when experts will decide “whether the risk to public safety has receded."
"We will evaluate external factors, including instances of violence, restrictions on peaceful assembly and other markers of civil unrest," the company wrote in a statement.
"If we determine that there is still a serious risk to public safety, we will extend the restriction for a set period of time and continue to re-evaluate until that risk has receded," the statement continued.
It is a departure from earlier Facebook policies, which defaulted to keeping posts by politicians up for the sake of free speech.
The "From the Desk of Donald J. Trump" blog was shut down earlier this week, according to top aides.
The blog was originally touted as a "rival" for other social media platforms from which Trump had been banned.
NBC News reported that the blog had dwindling engagements in comparison to his suspended Facebook and Twitter accounts, where he had millions of followers.
Trump's suspension means his Facebook account is frozen. People can like and comment on his past posts, but he cannot post new content.
His last post was from the Capitol attacks on January 6.
"I am asking for everyone at the U.S. Capitol to remain peaceful. No violence! Remember, WE are the Party of Law & Order – respect the Law and our great men and women in Blue. Thank you!" he posted.
Source: Read Full Article