Who is the cop who fatally shot Walter Wallace Jr. in Philadelphia?

Who is the cop who fatally shot Walter Wallace Jr. in Philadelphia?


WALTER Wallace Jr. was gunned down by Philadelphia police but the cop’s identity has yet to be revealed.

Wallace's death on Monday sparked massive lootings, and protests, and resulted in 30 officers being injured in the aftermath. 

What happened to Walter Wallace Jr.?

Walter Wallace Jr., 27, was caught on video holding a knife in the middle of a street while chasing after two officers on Monday in Pennsylvania. 

More footage posted online by a witness showed Wallace walking around parked cars as a woman tries to intervene and two male officers point their guns.

Wallace then comes around a parked car and into the street, which is when the cops back up as he walks towards them.

One cop can be heard saying: "Put the knife down, put the knife down."

Shortly after, he was gunned down by cops in front of horrified witnesses after he refused to drop the weapon.

Wallace was rushed to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center hospital where he later died from his injuries.

According to Wallace’s family members, he was dealing with mental health issues and his mom was heard begging the officers to drop the gun.

Wallace's dad Walter Wallace Sr said his son was shot 10 times. 

“Why didn’t they use a Taser?” the distraught father told the Philadelphia Inquirer.

“His mother was trying to diffuse the situation. Then you’re going to shoot him down like he’s a mother f***ing animal.”

What did police say?

Police spokesperson Eric Gripp told the Inquirer that Wallace "advanced towards" the cops after they ordered him to drop his weapon.

He said footage filmed on the two cops' body cameras was being reviewed by investigators.

Gripp said it is unclear exactly how many times Wallace was shot.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw said an investigation is underway and Mayor Jim Kenney said he spoke with Wallace’s family.

“My prayers are with the family and friends of Walter Wallace,” Kenney said in a statement.

“I look forward to a speedy and transparent resolution for the sake of Mr. Wallace, his family, the officers, and for Philadelphia.”

John McNesby, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5, told the Inquirer "our police officers are being vilified this evening for doing their job and keeping the community safe."

"[They were] confronted by a man with a knife," McNesby said.

"We support and defend these officers, as they too are traumatized by being involved in a fatal shooting."

“We ask the public for its patience as investigators work to gather all the facts of this tragic incident in West Philadelphia today.”

When were the protests?

Protests erupted immediately in the streets near where Wallace was shot before hundreds of demonstrators gathered at Malcolm X Park in the city center chanting "Black Lives Matter" at around 6:30pm.

The protesters advanced toward a police station at 55th and Pine Streets while shouting "Say his name. Walter Wallace."

Amid looting and unrest in the area, riot cops gathered in a line at the site near the law enforcement building.

A female cop was struck by a speeding black truck and was rushed to a hospital, while many others were reportedly hit as well — though only one is seen lying on the ground in the witness footage.

Garments and other goods were sprawled across the streets along with glass from two ATM cash machines which had been smashed in.

Multiple fires also raged while five police cars and one fire department vehicle were vandalized.

There were over 30 people arrested.

Source: Read Full Article